Monday, September 02, 2013

BATTLE OF CHICKAMAUGA LANDMARK ANNIVERSARY OBSERVED IN SEPTEMBER

CIVIL WAR BUFFS TAKE NOTE: The Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park in northwest Georgia will be alive with War Between the States history in September during the observance of the 150th anniversary of the famous Battle of Chickamauga. Tours, re-enactments of the battles, and many other events are being planned for the several day occasion. More information is available at the links below, borrowed from all of my blogs, to simplify your search, If you know anyone who is a Civil War history enthusiast, you might want to share this blog post with them. The battlefield is between Fort Oglethorpe, GA, and Chickamauga, GA, which are south of the bigger city of Chattanooga, TN, known by many as the “Scenic City.” – Toney Atkins
 The City of Chickamauga (WITH UPDATED COMMENT BY TONEY ATKINS)
The City of Chickamauga
From CityofChickamauga.org
**********************
Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park - Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park
Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park - Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park
From the National Park Service, nps.gov Posted by Toney Atkins at 4:34 PM No comments: Links to this post Labels: Battle of Chickamauga, Chickamauga GA  
Civil War Timeline and Special Programs - Chickamauga &
Chattanooga National Military Park
Civil War Timeline and Special Programs - Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park
From the National Park Service, nps.gov Posted by Toney Atkins at 4:21 PM No comments: Links to this post Labels: Battle of Chickamauga, Chickamauga Battlefield, Chickamauga-Chattanooga Battlefield, National Park Service
Walk Through Time At Chickamauga Battlefield Is Sept. 14-15 - 07/08/2013 - Chattanoogan.com
Walk Through Time At Chickamauga Battlefield Is Sept. 14-15 - 07/08/2013 - Chattanoogan.com

Toney Atkins comments: Anyone who wonders why I've posted so much about Chickamauga, GA, doesn't know (or probably even care) that I proudly call it my home town. I grew up there, graduated from Gordon Lee Memorial High School and later enjoyed some of the best years of my life teaching many terrific youngsters in grades five through seven at Chickamauga Elementary School (1967-1971). After teaching another year at North Rossville (GA) Elementary School, I vacationed in Florida, where I essentially was handed my first job in journalism, starting as a police reporter, progressing to entertainment writer and editor and then to county and city editor at a mainstream newspaper.

 I lived in Chickamauga for 29 years and occasionally still yearn for the good old days of small town life where the living was relatively carefree, moved at a leisure pace and was full of Southern hospitality, drama and comedy.

I'm amazed at how much of the town/s history that I wasn't taught when I lived there, but learned about recently. Maybe my teachers tried to inform me, but being a typical kid, I simply took for granted the atmosphere as it was at the time, while every day, I was walking on or driving through a hallowed land that was jam-packed with history, a battlefield where much violence was wrought and much blood was spilled.

The upcoming observances of the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Chickamauga during the Civil War excite me and I want to share that excitement. If you want to visit a small Southern town steeped in history, I encourage you to see Chickamauga.

 (The famous Civil War battle was named not for the town, but for Chickamauga Creek. The area was known as Crawfish Springs during the War Between the States. A once clear spring flows from a small cavern just east of the Gordon-Lee Mansion, a plantation built before the war which still stands an historic landmark. The water from the springs eventually flows into Chickamauga Creek.)  







No comments: