Wednesday, January 29, 2014

KUDOS TO WEATHERMAN PAUL BARYS: Video Landing Page - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

http://www.wrcbtv.com/category/214449/video-landing-page?clipId=9783155&autostart=true



TONEY COMMENTS: Meteorologist Paul Barys of WRCB, Channel 3, in Chattanooga, TN, is to be commended for acknowledging embarrassment and apologizing on Wednesday evening for his not-totally-accurate forecast late Monday that failed to predict the potential that the expected snow and ice storm would reach this far north. Having watched all three local weather-casts on the late night news, and on several channels for their early morning news Tuesday, it seemed to me that all stations, INCLUDING THE WEATHER CHANNEL, were underplaying the possible serious winter storm impacts above or even in Atlanta. Neighbors, and even my pharmacist (when I picked up some prescriptions after midnight Monday) can verify that my personal forecast, based on my passion for weather and watching radars and weather patterns, were that I feared we could well get at least a fairly serious storm. I went to bed between 5 and 6 a.m. Tuesday, still with no severe threats being given for Southeast Tennessee and Northwest Georgia. However, AccuWeather radars on my blogs indicated to me that ice and snow indeed were heading our way. When I awoke at noon, I opened the door to see a white parking lot and wooded area beyond. Cars in the lot were covered in snow and ice, and traffic was crawling on Interstate 75 south of Chattanooga. 

Paul's apology is accepted and I say KUDOS. He is the only TV weatherman I've heard who has been man or woman enough to admit that he erred. -- Toney Atkins

No comments: