Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hicks: Movie theaters should offer midweek incentives - San Jose Mercury News

Hicks: Movie theaters should offer midweek incentives - San Jose Mercury News
From The San Jose Mercury News

Toney Atkins comments: Amen to Tony Hicks' observations in this story (click link). I have enjoyed movies all my life, and it was a sad day when I realized that the cost of seeing a film on the big screen had jumped to way beyond my means. Even before I became a senior citizen, ticket prices were outrageous, and my beloved popcorn and soda cost almost as much as a buffet dinner at Golden Corral. Yes, the old man is about to reminisce about the "good old days." Until I was 12 years old, I paid 12 cents for admission to the Liberty Theatre in Chickamauga, GA. From then on (or until the theatre closed in the mid-to-late 1950s, it cost me all of 35 cents to see news of the day, previews, a cartoon, sometimes a comedy short and a second-or-third-run feature film. Popcorn was a dime and a cup of Coca-Cola was a nickel. After I recovered from mourning the loss of the Liberty, my parents would allow me to take the bus to the big city, Chattanooga, TN, to take in a couple of movies at the first-run movie houses, where the adult admission was 50 cents, at least until the mid-1960s. Popcorn and beverage prices were still relatively reasonable. I took many dates to the movies, followed by hamburgers and soft drinks, and spent little more than $5 per date. At today's ticket prices, expected to rise even more, I can't afford to take myself to a movie theatre, much less pay for a date, without pawning my stuff or taking out a loan. For the movies alone and the sharing of them with an audience, I miss the "good old days" and that big silver screen that was always so full of magic. So, theatre owners, can't you work out some kind of plan to fill your houses with young singles and couples and retirees and make it easier and more economical to visit you and enjoy your offerings?

No comments: